There are so many ways to keep kids entertained, however, most parents get stuck when there is no option of taking the kids outside. Surely, outdoor activities are inherently more exciting and easier to organize, but kids are super active all year around and, whether you want it or not, they will demand entertainment regardless of the weather. Kids get restless and irritated when there is nothing to do, so prevent this gloomy day from turning into a disaster and help them make the time fly with these fun kids activities indoors:
Play the game
No kid can ever say no to a game, especially if the parent is involved. Games are a no brainer way to get kids occupied. Just make sure you have a couple up your sleeve to have them playing all day long.
- Play a board game like Uno or Monopoly. For younger kids, you can try to Save the Princess or Picture Dominos. It is a good rule of thumb to have board games at home so that when the fog and rain distort your daily routine you can still enjoy a ready-made entertainment without putting too much thought into planning.
- Have an indoor picnic. Cook something together and serve a table in the living room to celebrate the inclement weather. Kids love to pretend to be all grown up while the improvised celebratory family dinner will bring a bit of holiday cheer into your home.
- Set up a miniature train and village. Get all the toys and props together and try to build a small village. You can use any toys you want and also have dolls as temporary habitats of this mini universe.
- Build a tower out of blocks or Legos. Everything that involves building or constructing ultimately helps kids develop creative skills. So take those colorful blocks and start building. After your kids are done with the building, they can also try knocking the tower down.
- Blow bubbles. Find bubbles that are safe to use indoors. Get plastic cups and have kids catch the bubbles you make. Or let them blow them.
- Have a story time. Sit in a circle or around a fire and tell each other ghost stories.
If you want your kids to become professional artists or get them interested in creative pursuits, give them the opportunity to show their skills. Unlike adults, whose creative vision is often clouded by work problems and family errands, kids are not restricted in their imagination. Anything that kids create is truly out of this world. See our list below and these additional crafty resources to inspire you.
- Decorate cookies.Bake sugar cookies, prepare the frosting and buy the decorations. Then let their imagination run wild with colors, sugar, and sprinkles. Build a whole ginger house if you like.
- Make greeting cards for the loved ones. Teach them the art of giving and compassion by making the do-it-yourself cards for family members. Have them write their wishes and give the cards to the addressee’s when they come visit.
- Have a beauty day, and do each other’s nails and hair.
- Cut up magazines and create a collage. Pick a topic and a pile of old magazines, then have the kids compile a large collage on the chosen topic. A topic can be anything you like, but this activity is a great way to pick important topics and introduce the kids to such ideas such as social justice and diversity.
Get active and exercise
While girls are calmer and can concentrate for long stretches of time, boys can be incredibly hard to keep busy. These physical activities for kids indoors will help even naughty ones release the excessive energy.
- Try some easy kid-friendly yoga stretches. Having seen their parents doing yoga, kids will be eager to try it too. Choose some simple yoga poses and try to do them in pairs – it will help you bond even more as a family.
- Have a dance party. Blast those summer tunes and pretend you are at the beach party despite the grey skies outside. Teach your kids some lesson in positivity so that they create their own reality when they grow up.
- Have a pillow fight. You probably have to beg your kids to brush their teeth, but they don’t need much encouragement for a pillow fight. The pillow fight still remains the most fun activity of all times no matter the age.
- Play Charades. Someone acts out a scene/title/person/animal and you have to guess what it is.
- Play Hide and Seek. The old time favorite is more relevant than ever on cloudy days, because kids can finally explore all the nooks and crannies of their own house.
Explore The City
Living in a big city, you have countless options of indoor kids activities, great spots are all within easy reach and transportation is outstanding. Plus the kids will surely appreciate the opportunity to escape the four house walls. Check out these kids indoor activities in Singapore.
- Visit a museum. Go to the museum that offers interactive exhibitions for effortless and playful education. ArtScience Museum has many exhibitions for all ages, so be sure to check out their monthly schedule.
- Go to the movies. Even though you can watch a movie at home, show the kids that the weather is not an obstacle to having fun and they will avoid the destiny of becoming the Netflix and chill addicts when they grow up.
- Get social at shopping malls play areas. You can window shop and enjoy some “mom conversation” while your kids make new friends and upgrade their social skills under the strict supervision of professional staff. You can get your kids a pass to 2-hour session at play areas in Eastpoint Mall, Suntec City, VivoCity and Annex Furama.
- Visit the library. The world’s first ‘green’ library for kids features some unique constructions and interactive exhibits such as a tree that bears fruits that ripen and poses questions on environmental awareness and the tree house canopy constructed with recycled bottles.
- Play a tourist and visit Singapore Flyer and Universal Studios. Tourist trips show a different angle of the city. Seeing that people from other parts of the world admire the city and participating in activities Singapore has to offer makes the kids appreciate their hometown even more.
Kids want to be active and adventurous no matter the time of the day and whether it is raining cats and dogs or beaming sunshine in front of your door. Hopefully, these children’s indoor activities list will help you get the little ones engaged and happy, even if for the short amount of time until they are bored again.